Places to Go smaller logo Welford-on-Avon Cotswolds logo

Cotswolds links logo
Home Button
Anne Hathaways Cottage
Baddesley Clinton

Bath (feature)
Bibury
Bourton House Garden
Bourton-on-the-Water
Broadway
Burford Town
Charlecote Park
Chastleton House
Cheltenham
Chipping Campden
Cotswold Falconry Centre
Cotswolds Farm Park
Cotswold Motoring Museum
Cotswold Wildlife Park
Coughton Court
Hailes Abbey

Hidcote Manor Gardens
Holy Trinity Stratford
Jephson Gardens Leamington
Kenilworth Castle
Kiftsgate Court
Packwood House

Painswick Garden
Prinknash Park
Ragley Hall
Sezincote
Snowshill Manor

Stow-on-the-Wold
Stratford Butterfly Farm
Stratford-upon-Avon
Sudeley Castle
The Slaughters
Upton House
Warwick
Welford-on-Avon

The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures

Cottage in Boat Lane Queen Anne house St Peters Church
Welford-on-Avon is a picturesque village set in the heart of Warwickshire. It lies on the Avon River about four miles west of Stratford-upon-Avon. The village is four miles south of Alcester and four miles east of Bidford-on-Avon. The centre of the village is designated as a conservation area.

The village contains quite a number of attractive thatched cotages many located in Boat Lane, but the spread of housing is from very old to modern. It is mainly residential, but contains some small businesses, the largest of which are horticultural. In total, it has a little under 600 houses and about 1300 residents. The Village has three public houses, two shops, a garage, a primary school, a bowls club, a sports club, a children's play area, allotments and two Churches. The churches are the Parish Church of St Peter's and a Methodist Chapel.

Mentioned in the Domesday Book, but with origins dating back much further, the development of Welford has taken place over many centuries. The oldest listings of well-known landmarks include the Church built on the site of St Peter's during the 12th century, the Southern portion of Binton Bridges (C13th), and the Maypole site (C14th). The 17th century saw the introduction of the many timber-framed cottages and the Wesleyan Chapel was constructed late in the 18th century. The road system as we know it today was also largely in place by 1800. The original village school was built in Victorian times and housed the first Parish Council meeting in 1894. More recently the Memorial Hall building was erected in 1924
Another cottage in Boat Lane The Old Rectory The Owl Pen