The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
Upton House was originally constructed in the late 17th century, when the estate passed into the hands of the Cullen family and Sir Rushout Cullen built the present Upton House in the Classical style. The next owner made some minor alterations to the North Front, but during the nineteenth century it was little occupied and its fortunes were only revived in 1927 when it became home to the 2nd Viscount Bearstead, who was one of the great collectors of the period.
The Viscount, who was the son of Marcus Samuel the founder of Shell, bequeathed the House, together with his extensive collections of paintings and porcelain and the magnificent gardens to the National Trust in 1948.
Within the present house the rooms retain the feel of the 1920s and 1930s. The colour schemes provide an ideal backdrop to the internationally important collections of paintings, including works by Stubbs, Bruegel, Hogarth, Canaletto, El Greco and Bosch. Lord Bearsteads tastes are also reflected in his porcelain collection of 18th century Chelsea figures and Sevres tableware.
The south facing Gardens are a joy in all seasons with wide lawns at the rear of the house descending via terraces of Mediterranean plants and a Kitchen Garden to the Mirror Pool in the valley. There is also a Cherry garden and Bog Garden plus Blackwells Wood (which can be viewed but not accessed by the public).
Upton house is situated on the A422, 7 miles NW of Banbury in Oxfordshire.