The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
Historical Sudeley Castle is located in the beautiful cotswold hills. Sudeley's history can be traced back for centuries, its estates border the the former Saxon capital town of Winchcombe, where Ralph Boteler (Baron Sudeley) began constructing the magnificent castle in the mid 15th century as a symbol of his achievements. Seized by the crown in 1461 the castle remained in the hands of the Kings of England until Henry VIII died in 1547. Later the castle became a garrison for Prince Rupert during the English Civil War and the estate including the church of St. Mary's was desecrated by Cromwell's troops.
In 1817 the now neglected and partly ruined Sudeley was bought by John and William Dent of the Worcestershire glove making company, who began an ambitious restoration programme which was continued by their nephew John Coucher Dent, who inherited the castle in 1855 together with his wife Emma.
Today Sudeley is the home of Lord and Lady Ashcombe, Henry and Mollie Dent-Brocklehurst and their respective families, who are dedicated to the its continued restoration and to the regeneration of the gardens.
Surrounding the castle are 14 acres of superb gardens, winners of the HHA Christies Garden of the Year award in 1996. Ten smaller gardens, each one distinct in its own right, blend seamlessly together. These include the Tithe Barn and carp pond, Queens Garden, The Knot Garden, The White Garden, Secret Garden and the East Garden. Topiary features strongly throughout and all of the gardens are managed using organic principles.
Sudeley is located near Winchcombe, east of Broadway off the A44 / B4632.