|Sezincote House & Garden|
The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
The estate was bought by Colonel John Cockerell in 1795, on his return from Bengal. Cockerell died three years later, leaving the estate to his youngest brother, Charles, who had been with him in India in the service of the East India Company. Charles employed another brother, Samuel Pepys Cockerell, an architect and Surveyor to the East India Company, to build him a house in the Indian manner.
In 1944 the estate was bought by Sir Cyril and Lady Kleinwort, and is now lived in by their grandson Edward Peake, and his wife Camilla, who continue to care for and open this extraordinary house and its gardens to the public.
There are two gardens at Sezincote, the formal canal garden beside the house, and a more informal stream garden near the entrance to the grounds. The most immediately recognizable aspect of the formal garden are two large statues of elephants which act as a focal point for a formal canal leading from the house to a nearby hill. The curving orangery opens into the garden, and when the weather is fine the orangery doors are open, creating a space that is both indoors and outdoors at once.
Sezincote is situated on a minor road off the A44 on the outskirts of Bourton on the Hill. Seasonal opening. Children are not generally admitted to the house. As a spicy aside from the Cotswold countryside it is definitely worth a visit.