|Quarry Bank Mill|
The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
Quarry Bank Mill was built in Styal, Cheshire, in 1784, and was one of the first water-powered cotton-spinning mills. Five storeys high, built of deep red brick and Welsh slate, it lays amid rich woodland, and is fed by the river Bollin, its workers' cottages situated nearby. Today it is a National Trust property and an education centre, playing host to groups of giddy primary-school children and a steady flow of tourists, but in 1790 it was a successful spinning mill, employing 205 workers. By the middle of the 19th century,
This is a highly recommended visit for those interested in the history of Manchester and its industries. Tours available of the mill and its hospital, school and the Apprentices' House. Samuel Greg founded the mill in 1784, and it is still producing calico which can be bought at the mill shop.
Products were never finished at Styal - they were and still are sent away for bleaching and dyeing. Products can be bought at other National Trust venues. The mill is operated by former mill workers, mechanical and hand-spinning and weaving can still be seen in progress on the mill factory floor. The original water wheel, built by Fairbairn, was 32ft high and 21ft wide but had decayed so much it was useless and has been replaced by a wheel from Pateley Bridge in Yorkshire. It is the most powerful water wheel still in use in Britain and was visited by the Queen Mother in 1986.
The mill tour takes well over an hour, but is well worth it. The Apprentice House Is a large detached house about 5 minute's walk from the mill. It housed about 60 boys and girls. The children came from local workhouses or from parents who could not afford to keep them. The house is now turned into a museum which is open to the public and guided tours are conducted by an originally costumed custodian.
Quarry Bank Garden is an 18th century garden created by Quarry Bank Mills founder, Samuel Greg, in the 1790's. The eight acre garden, was acquired by the National Trust in 2006 from private ownership and since then has been undergoing restoration.