The Manor House

In 1482, when Sir Edmund Bedingfeld was granted a license by Edward IV to crenellate, he built the medieval, moated manor house that stood as a glorious status symbol, romantically adorned in the nature of a castle. Few alterations have changed the structure of Oxburgh Hall, although the original Great Hall was demolished in 1775, and it was extensively remodelled in the mid-19th century. Lavish enhancements were made, including a new suite of neo-Tudor rooms and, externally, the addition of splendid oriels and fancy twisted chimneys of moulded terracotta, giving the house a very gothic Victorian appearance.