Places to Go smaller logo Kings Lynn Norfolk Holidays Logo small

Holiday links Plack
Home Button
Kings Lynn Norfolk
Kings Lynn Town
Houghton Hall

Holkham Hall
Oxburgh Hall

Gooderstone Gardens
Sandringham

Glastonbury Somerset
Glastonbury Town
Wells

Barrington Court
Tintinhull Garden

Lytes Cary Manor
Salisbury Wiltshire
Salisbury Cathedral
Stonehenge

Wardour Castle
Shaftesbury

Old Sarum

The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures

kings Lynn Customs House The Great Ouse running through Kings Lynn The Tuesday Market place
Originally named Bishop’s Lynn, the town of Kings Lynn was originally part of the manor of the Bishop of Norwich in the 12th century. By the 14th century, due to the access provided by The Great Ouse the town ranked as the third port of England. It still retains two buildings that were warehouses of the Hanseatic League that were in use between the 15th and 17th centuries.

Our rented Cottage at Kings LynnWhen Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1538, the town and manor became royal property. The names King’s Lynn and Lynn Regis reflect this change. The town became very prosperous from the 17th century through the export of corn; the fine Customs House was built in 1683 to the designs of local architect Henry Bell.

The town went into decline after this period, and was only rescued by the relatively late arrival of railway services in 1847. In the post-Second World War period it was designated a London Expansion Town, and its population roughly doubled as thousands of people were relocated from the capital.
Kings Lynn Town Hall
Since 2004, a multi-million pound scheme has been under way to regenerate the entire town. In 2005, the Vancouver Shopping Centre, originally built in the 1960s, was refurbished as part of the scheme. presently the residents in this rural region look to Lynn as the main town from a retail, business and industrial point of view. The Town Centre is traffic free and contains branches of all the popular chain stores as well as regular outdoor markets.
*Link to official site for viewing Visitor Information*