Places to Go smaller logo Coughton Court Cotswolds logo

Cotswolds links logo
Home Button
Anne Hathaways Cottage
Baddesley Clinton

Bath (feature)
Bibury
Bourton House Garden
Bourton-on-the-Water
Broadway
Burford Town
Charlecote Park
Chastleton House
Cheltenham
Chipping Campden
Cotswold Falconry Centre
Cotswolds Farm Park
Cotswold Motoring Museum
Cotswold Wildlife Park
Coughton Court
Hailes Abbey

Hidcote Manor Gardens
Holy Trinity Stratford
Jephson Gardens Leamington
Kenilworth Castle
Kiftsgate Court
Packwood House

Painswick Garden
Prinknash Park
Ragley Hall
Sezincote
Snowshill Manor

Stow-on-the-Wold
Stratford Butterfly Farm
Stratford-upon-Avon
Sudeley Castle
The Slaughters
Upton House
Warwick
Welford-on-Avon

The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures

Coughton Court rear view Walled Garden Courtyard
Coughton Court has been the home of the Throckmorton family since the fifteenth century. The family inherited the estate in 1409, when John de Throckmorton Under Treasurer to Henry VI married Eleonor de Spiney. Building was commenced in 1518 by Sir George Throckmorton, the central gatehouse survives from about 1530.
Front elevation
The family were very prominent in Tudor times and have always been staunchly Roman Catholic, which brought them many problems in the reign of Elizabeth I and the years that followed, including fines, imprisonment and even execution.

The family fortunes revived in later years and by the 1780's the stone built gothic wings on either side of the gate house were added. The moat which was originally considered a status symbol was filled in at about this time. The walled garden is a recent addition having been opened in 1996, and follows the fashionable example of themed garden rooms.
Courtyard and Formal Garden
The house is celebrated for its collections of portraits and memorabilia of a single family from the early Tudor period through to the present day. It is unique in that it continues to be occupied by descendants of the original family who first built it.

The Coughton Court estate which also includes two churches plus a restaurant and shop, can be found two miles north of Alcester on the A435.
*Link to official site for viewing Visitor Information*