A view of the undercroft of the Hospital, which was built about 1180 - 1200, and which was restored in 1932. At one time it had been filled half-up with earth, likely as support for the structure above. As well, it had been rented out as a storage area, and used as the hospitals coal-cellar. The center pillars are very thin, with "bell-shaped" capitals, which were initially situated on wooden piles, made of oak. This support system was used due to the nearness of the Stour, which flows directly on the north-west side of the Hospital. The piles last a long time under water, but decay when buried in earth.