|The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
The Castle construction began as a motte (artificial mound ) and a gatehouse in the 11th century by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel a loyal Baron of William the Conqueror. Subsequently the Castle became the family home of the Dukes of Norfolk and their ancestors for over 850 years. The present building is the result of massive restoration carried out by the 15th Duke of Norfolk between 1875 and 1900. It was one of the first English country houses to be fitted with electric light, lifts and central heating. The building plan bears a great similarity with Royal Windsor Castle.
The results of all this history are housed in the Castle in the form of fine furniture dating from the 16th century, tapestries, clocks, and fine paintings by Van Dyck, Gainsborough, Mytens, Reynolds and others. This combined with the magnificent views of beautiful Sussex downland and out to sea, plus 30 acres of grounds including several gardens, make for an excellent day out.
Arundel is located off the A27 South Coast road between Chichester and Brighton.