Places to Go smaller logo Chipping Campden Cotswolds logo

Cotswolds links logo
Home Button
Anne Hathaways Cottage
Baddesley Clinton

Bath (feature)
Bibury
Bourton House Garden
Bourton-on-the-Water
Broadway
Burford Town
Charlecote Park
Chastleton House
Cheltenham
Chipping Campden
Cotswold Falconry Centre
Cotswolds Farm Park
Cotswold Motoring Museum
Cotswold Wildlife Park
Coughton Court
Hailes Abbey

Hidcote Manor Gardens
Holy Trinity Stratford
Jephson Gardens Leamington
Kenilworth Castle
Kiftsgate Court
Packwood House

Painswick Garden
Prinknash Park
Ragley Hall
Sezincote
Snowshill Manor

Stow-on-the-Wold
Stratford Butterfly Farm
Stratford-upon-Avon
Sudeley Castle
The Slaughters
Upton House
Warwick
Welford-on-Avon

The thumbnails are linked to larger pictures

AlmshousesChipping Campden is the prime example of a Cotswold market town. It is steeped in history and although very beautiful it has not yet been spoilt by tourism and still has a peaceful relaxed air about it. A good place to start your visit is to call at the small tourist information centre in the High Street opposite the old Market Hall and pick up a town map or guide.

Chipping Campden is an old wool town and as usual has a large church St. James on the edge of town, built by the towns wool merchants in the 15th century.

Close to the church is a stunning row of Almshouses built in 1612 by Sir Baptist Hicks a wealthy benefactor to the town at a cost of £1,000, to house six poor Men and six poor women. Another historic feature of the town the Jacobean Market Hall, was also built by himElegant transport in 1627, to provide shelter for the butter and cheese stalls. It is now owned by the National Trust.

The main street comprises of many splendid Cotswold stone Buildings, erected between the 14th and 17th centuries when the wool trade was at its peak. Grevel House and the Woolstaplers hall are amongst the oldest and finest.

In 1902 C.R.Ashbee arrived to settle in Chipping Campden with craftsmen from London's East End, in pursuit of of their rural idyll. They practised a wide variety of crafts including silver, some of the craftsmen remained after the Guild disbanded in 1908 and silversmiths still work in the old Silk Mill in Sheep Street.

Chipping Campden can be reached from the A44 near Stow on the Wold via the B4081


St James Church The Market Hall Chipping High Street


Town sign

The Market Hall

the High Street

Leysbourne